Students are admitted to the doctoral program only for the Fall Semester and on a full-time basis. For admission to the program, an applicant must:
- Hold at least a bachelor’s degree from a recognized educational institution
- Have a superior academic record
- A GMAT score *
- Minimum TOEFL score of 600 – paper, 250 – computer, 100 – internet **
- Have personal qualifications of sound character, perseverance, intellectual curiosity, and an interest in scholarly research.
Application materials should be submitted no later than January 10. Applicants are encouraged to complete their applications as early as possible.
Specifically, the admissions committee makes its decisions based on evaluation of:
- GMAT score *
- Quantitative (statistical and mathematical) and communication (oral and written) aptitude and background
- Grade point average(s) and university(ies) attended
- Letters of recommendation
- Applicant’s statement of purpose for applying to the doctoral program
- Previous work experience
- An invited on-campus interview. ***
*A GMAT score must be less than five (5) years old. Any score that is older that five (5) years will not be considered for admission to the program. Average GMAT scores for admitted students are in the upper 600s.
**A TOEFL score is required for applicants whose first language is not English, even if they have a degree from a U.S. University. The TOEFL score must be less than two (2) years old to be considered for admission. A list of countries from which applicants may be exempt from the TOEFL requirement can be found here.
*** Qualified applicants often visit MSU, typically in February and March, to meet with members of the marketing doctoral committee and other marketing and doctoral students.